Sunday 20 September 2009

Molly Morello's diary (extract...)

The oddest and most heart-warming thing happened today.

The President of the United States called to wish me a happy retirement. At least, I think it was him. I’m still expecting someone to shout out APRIL FOOL any minute. (Not that it’s April, but I’m struggling to think of a more likely explanation..) We had a fantastic conversation about Twelfth Night and something about James Bond I’m ashamed to say I didn’t quite understand.

But as blown away as I was by that, that isn’t what brought a tear to my eye.

“I’m in the Oval Office with the President of the United States, and it’s because of you.”

What a thing to say! I really don’t think I did very much at all, but it’s a privilege to have been involved in a life like hers.

I love all my students, of course (well, most of them), and my deepest desire has always been that that they would achieve their full potential. But Donnatella was something special. You could see it from the spark in her eyes when she talked about the things she was passionate about, and her unending devotion to those things and reluctance to change the subject before she obtained the result she was looking for.

So I’m not surprised she’s working for a Bigger Cause, and I’d be even less surprised were I to discover that she was doing it with zeal, fervor and a determination and devotion that far outstrip the undoubtedly enormous demands on her.

I always knew she was destined for greatness.

Or is that too easy to say with the benefit of hindsight?

I hope that she is happy.

And I know this isn’t a politically correct thing to say these days (no pun intended), but I hope too that she has a man who is worthy of her; who is aware of the privilege of being entrusted with such a precious life; who will love her, honor her, and help her to become all she can be. She so wanted to be married, to be loved, to be treasured. She looked for it in odd places sometimes. I hope that has changed. There was something in her voice that told me it might have – something of confidence and added maturity.

God, I pray that You would send her this man. That together they may have a nation-changing impact for the good of this country. And that they would be unspeakably happy.

And also that she might write me a bit more often... I miss our correspondance and occasional coffees.

No comments:

Post a Comment