Thursday 17 September 2009

Cautious optimism

This takes place sometime during the first year in office. I liked drunk Josh so decided to have a little fun with him...

Apologies for any Briticisms - I have no idea whether Americans call pyjamas PJs, and have the sneaky suspicion you might spell them pajamas anyway... I've just about made my peace with "favorite" and "I just saw him", but I'm afraid I am, and will always remain, a (lovable?) Brit. After all, you can take the girl out of England, but...

A drunk Josh knocks on Donna's door in the middle of the night. She opens and he stumbles in, tripping over the cat. He shouts an expletive in its direction.

Donna is exasperated and mostly sarcastic throughout. Josh is, well, drunk.

DONNA: (in a loud whisper) Shhh! It's the middle of the night.
JOSH: We lost the bill.
DONNA: (sighs) I know. I was there.
JOSH: How can we possibly have lost?
DONNA: Cautious optimism, Josh. How many times...? C'mon, let me get you some water.
JOSH: Where's your flatmate?
DONNA: Asleep, as are most normal people at this time.
CAREY: (calls out, exasperated) Not anymore!
JOSH: Oops.
DONNA: Yeah. (calls out) Sorry! (pours him some water)
JOSH: (somewhat whiny) Donna, why did we lose?
DONNA: I probably didn't do enough index cards.
JOSH: It's not your fault...
DONNA: I know. I was kidding. We lost, Joshua, because sometimes in politics we lose. (hands him the water)
JOSH: But it was a good bill. I really wanted it.
DONNA: Sometimes in life we don't get what we want. (She sighs wistfully)
JOSH: Huh?

DONNA: Drink the water.

JOSH: Yes, mom.

DONNA: Okay, you need to lose that. Now. You know, you're drunk and you won't remember this in the morning. So I can tell you I don't always get what I want either.

JOSH: Wo. Short sentences are good, Donna. Short ones.
DONNA: Never mind.
JOSH: You don't get what you want?
DONNA: No, Josh.
JOSH: And what is it that you want?
DONNA: I think the answer to that would be pretty hard to believe under current circumstances.
JOSH: Huh?
DONNA: Never mind. (throws him the sleeping bag.) Here's the sleeping bag. Here are two pints of water. (puts them down next to him) Drink them. I'll wake you in... (looks at clock) three and a half hours.
JOSH: You look cute in your PJs.
DONNA: Why, thank you, Josh. Maybe I'll wear them to work.
JOSH: Yeah... That would be good. Except I wouldn't get any work done.
DONNA: Here's your toothbrush.
JOSH: I have a toothbrush here?
DONNA: It's kind of worrying that that's how often you end up here. Try not to do this again too soon or Carey will have me evicted.
JOSH: She doesn't want an eligible Fulbright scholar in her flat?
DONNA: Not as much as she wants uninterrupted sleep. As do I. Drink the water, Josh. Good night.
JOSH: Good night, Donnatella. I mean it about the PJs.

Donna rolls her eyes, closes the door and smiles to herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment